While I detest spending over an hour scrubbing bathrooms because I’ve procrastinated about cleaning them, I don’t mind giving them a quick spritz and wipe every couple of days. In fact, it feels like cheating, like I’m getting out of cleaning the bathroom altogether :)
There are lots of ways we can organise, plan, and clean as we go that means we stay on top of things and avoid tackling the big jobs they turn into when left too long.
Here are a few ideas:
- Implement a daily pickup. Reset your household each evening so it runs smoothly from the moment you wake up.
- Before adding a task to your to do list, ask yourself what end result you want so you can action it in the most efficient way.
- When you start a new activity or project, set up a system for it. That could mean assigning somewhere for the equipment, creating a project folder, setting up templates, and figuring out streamlined routines. You can tweak as you go, but better to have a rough framework in place from the beginning.
- Mess attracts mess so clean things up as they happen. As soon as a pile forms, when you see a spill on the floor, or a streak across a mirror—tackle it.
- Find new possessions a home as soon as you bring them in the door (better still, figure out where they’re going to go before you buy them).
- When you open a file (hard copy or digital), sort through it and delete anything outdated.
- Delete unwanted photos straight after you take them.
- Spend five minutes filing each evening rather than several hours once a year.
- Fill the sink with hot, soapy water before you start cooking.
- Ask children to pack up an activity before they start a new one. They will be more willing to do this when they’re still anticipating the new activity, not once they’ve started it!
Please add your ideas!